Monday 12 May 2008

Bedding in

It's a hot day and I have been planting beans on my allotment. May is my favourite month, just edging out October. It seems a crime to be inside.

Still, here I am. And I've enjoyed some of the book-related stuff that's been happening in my absence. In the next few days I'll post up more local campaign news that I've been sent from around the country from readers and activists. There's so much going on, it's actually quite exciting. If we could get together we'd be unstoppable.

Among my favourite things online at the moment, and possibly worth reading once the sun goes down are a review of the book on openDemocracy - the latest in a gratifyingly long line - a bizarre reference in a theatre review in the Guardian (maybe I should be writing plays instead) and - best of all - what is apparently supposed to be some sort of attack on me.

This latter is published on the Guardian's site too, and is written by an academic who - judging by her surname - needs to be a bit more careful with the class analysis. I confess that I can't actually work out what her point is, but perhaps this is because I don't know what 'normative' means. What I do like is how she has bracketed me with Billy Bragg as one of two people who clearly need to be taken on. Little does she know how flattered I am!

Finally, my next speaking event is coming up this Friday, in Bristol. Come along, if you're in the area. A few people have emailed me asking why I'm not doing many events in the north of England. To which I reply: I'd love to, but no-one's invited me to do one yet! If you'd like to, let me know.

1 comment:

maNik said...

Welcome back! I have just finished reading your book, which I found excellent and very thought-provoking. I lived in Continental Europe for 17 years and returned to England 4 1/2 years ago with my foreign wife and 4 children accompanying me. What a massive change to the country (and also to me) in that time. This country is not just dull and boring now though, it is also hostile and unfriendly. You have pin-pointed a hard lesson I learned abroad, which is that you always have to search for the small minority of individuals who are working hard to make a positive difference. No matter which country you are in the ones who genuinely care are few and far between and this came across to me very strongly in your book. I need to gather my thoughts more clearly about this and may post in again.